Tips to Stay Full Longer
Your goal to stay healthy and fit will always be put to a challenge. Whenever you feel hungry, your first instinct is to stuff food into your mouth to stop the grumbling stomach. But you can beat your hunger by finding the right food that will make you stay full longer.
If you’re having problems staying full, adjust your meals and snacks to incorporate these tips:
- Eat More Low Density Foods
Calorie density refers to the number of calories per gram of food. Foods that are HIGH in calorie density contain a high number of calories per gram; foods that are LOW in calorie density contain a low number of calories per gram. Calorie density is the key to feel full without overeating.
Just drinking a glass of water along with the meal does not provide the same degree of satiety. Research has shown that to reduce hunger and boost fullness, the water has to be in the food.
The following are all water-rich food choices with about 90% bound water. They can have a great impact on the calorie density of your diet.
* EAT MORE broth-based soups like chicken broth and vegetable broth.
* EAT MORE leafy greens like lettuce, baby spinach and mixed salad greens with fat-free dressing.
* EAT MORE fruits like apples, blueberries, cantaloupe, grapefruit, oranges, peaches, strawberries and watermelon.
* EAT MORE non-starchy vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes and winter squash.
* TIP: Start your meal with a bowl of broth-based soup or low-calorie leafy green salad to fill up on fewer calories. Turn to non-starchy vegetables when you get the munchies.